The Boat Barn Web Page

Previous Page | Next Page

            Painting and Turning
Before I painted the hull, I worked my arse off sanding and filing and patching etc.  I finally decided I had to live with whatever was there at that time and I then painted the boat with as many coats as I could using two gallons of System Three High Build Primer. Then I did the same with the Sys 3 Top Coat. I may have had only a gallon of that. I did the painting with a bloody Wagner Power Painter (they drip) and considering that the thing doesn't  look to bad.  I've since decided (learned a few things) that I'll likely need a "final" coat of paint a few places which will be done with proper equipment I assure you.
The big day. The boat's suspended in two slings of nylon webbing running through blocks suspended from a couple of chain hoists. There are gizmo's fore and aft to keep the webbing from slipping off of the ends.  It took us two hours.  We did it ala Jim Davis's method, but without his Volkswagen to hold the boat back.  She got stuck half way round and when we got the side dug out of the ground she went the rest of the way in a hurry and almost pushed me through the side of the shelter.  Seems I'm always at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here one can see the CopperPoxy bottom "paint".  Since she's been turned we've been christened by the local dogs who've turned the copper green in these runny sorts of patterns.  It does not match the boot top.

Here we're right side up and the top side/cabin side is being added.  It's not too apparent  in the photo, but here is one of the trickier parts of building this boat.  The topsides flair out at the bow where they blend in with the angle of the hull at the stem, but as they go aft the flair reverses and as can be seen amidships the flair is inward. The topside planking must also make a transition from being a butt joint with the sides at the stem to being overlapped outside and above the side planking amidships.  The process repeats itself on the stern.  I had included the topsides in the mould patterns which helped a lot.  Fitting to the hull at stem and stern took some creative use of the router. Finally, when I fair and paint this area, a liberal dose of micro balloons in epoxy should hide all sin.
Previous Page | Next Page
Home | Beach Cruiser | Badger Builders | Junk Rig Stuff

 
 
 
 

Gerald K. Limber
Asheboro, NC

gklimber@atomic.net