The Boat Barn Web Page
Revised Fall 2009
This is the massive crane which we needed to lift the boat. The lifting capacity was not the factor in deciding on the size, The reach needed to get to the boat from the driveway was what made the large crane necessry.
TIME IS MONEY AT THIS POINT !!
Another shot of the crane.
This is Jeff taking the lifting rig off of the keel after it was moved from where it was made to where it would sit for the bolting operation. It is dead level end to end and straight up vertically.
This is how we rigged the boat for the lift. There is a large pipe passing through the port holes from side to side which we used to level the boat. Comealongs were put in the rigging on the aft end and in the pipe rigging to adjust the boat to be dead level with the keel top so all 12 of the bolts would find their holes in the bottom of the boat. These were drilled as the boat hung using a plywood template of the hole pattern – the same one the welding shop used to place the bolts. We spread a thick layer of epoxy thickened with Cabosil on the keel top and when we lowered the boat all of the bolts hit their holes on the first try, When the boat was settled on the keel we took up on the nuts on the keel bolts. Later in the day we tightened the bolts again before pouring the bolt holes full with epoxy around the bolts.
The boat on its keel with drums supporting it laterally. She's ready to move.